If you’re looking for urban home living in a tropical paradise, look no further than Miami. With a bustling metro area that ranks as the fifth largest urban area in the United States—and the seventh most populated, according to the US Census Bureau, Miami is home to six million people. Why do all those people call Miami home? Because the business climate is prosperous, the fashion is high, the history is rich, the weather is gorgeous, and the nightlife is beyond belief. For those seeking urban home living in an area that is clean, green, and full of flair, Miami is the perfect place.
- Miami offers world-class opportunities. A leader in finance, commerce, culture, media, entertainment, the arts, and international trade, Miami has something for everyone, no matter what industry interests them. As of 2010, Foreign Policy Magazine’s Global Cities index ranked Miami seventh in the United States, for finance, commerce, culture, entertainment, fashion, and education, so it’s a great place to prosper. In fact, a 2009 UBS study ranked it as the richest city in the United States, and fifth richest in the world!
- It’s a lively beach town with a heavy dose of Latin spice. Incorporated in 1896, with a population of three hundred, Miami grew rapidly, helped along by a woman, Julia Tuttle. She convinced Henry Flagler to extend his railroad into the region, so that by the 1940s, over one hundred and seventy-thousand people called the city home. The rise of Fidel Castro to power in 1959 prompted scores of Cubans to flee their country for south Florida, and today Miami is known as the “Capital of Latin America,” because it is the second-largest city in the United States with a Spanish-speaking majority.
- Miami residents are never at a loss for something to do. With many culturally diverse neighborhoods, Miami boasts a booming restaurant scene, a happening nightlife, and a thriving artistic community. The music scene is varied and vibrant as well. The city also boasts the second-largest performing arts center in the country, bringing countless opportunities for cultural enrichment, from symphony, to ballet, to museums, to opera to theater. The pop culture is bustling, too, as Miami hosts numerous concerts and festivals. For sports lovers, the Greater Miami area has professional teams in all four major sports: football (Dolphins), basketball (Heat), baseball (Marlins), and hockey (Panthers). In fact, the LeBron James-led Heat recently defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder, 4-1 in the best-of-seven NBA Finals to win the franchise’s second NBA title (the Heat also defeated the Mavericks to win the 2005-06 title). The city also hosts many other sports, like golf, tennis, jai alai, and racing.
- The natural beauty is amazing, and the weather is warm all year. Ranked by Forbes as America’s Cleanest City of 2008, Miami has clean drinking water, good air quality, and tons of green space,–and of course plenty of gorgeous beachfront. It’s located in the southernmost section of the Florida peninsula, an easy drive to the Keys, and adjacent to the Everglades. Temperatures rarely fall below freezing, and while they stay in the 80s and 90s during the summer, the intense humidity is broken up by ocean breezes and afternoon thunderstorms. With numerous marinas, rivers, bays, canals, and the Atlantic Ocean, Miami offers year-round boating, sailing, and fishing. The numerous coral reefs in Biscayne Bay make snorkeling and scuba diving popular. If you prefer your outdoor activities on dry land, you might enjoy one of the over 80 parks and gardens in the city.
- It’s easy to get around in Miami. Miami International Airport is among the nation’s busiest and the Port of Miami is the world’s busiest cruise port, with one in seven cruise passengers worldwide departing from Miami, according to CNBC. Public transit includes commuter rail, rapid transit, an elevated people mover, and buses, with about seventeen percent of Miamians using public transportation daily. It’s a bicycle-friendly town, and the eighth most walkable of the nation’s fifty major cities, according to a 2011 study by WalkScore.com.
Urban home living is exciting and action-packed, but it can often mean that your space is tight. Atlantic Inc can help you make the most of your urban home living space, with storage solutions to fit every style and budget. Visit the website to find your storage solutions, or join the online community on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.